Tuesday 31 December 2013

Ringing in the New Year - Resolutions, Retrospectives and the like



I can't help but feel a tad sentimental whenever the year comes to an end. Admittedly, New Year's Eve has got to be the most anti-climatic night of the year for me. You clutch your champagne prosecco in your newly bought dress with hair/make-up/nails that took forever to perfect, count down the seconds and then... nothing. The world still carries on as normal, so you decide it's time to get disgustingly drunk, cause hey, January is all about the detox anyway! But, on the other hand, any excuse for a good party and gawping at some fireworks is fine by me!

Either way, it's always a good opportunity to look at your life a little bit and see how far you've come and which areas might need improving. It's like starting with a clean slate and even if some resolutions won't make it past the second week of January, you've got a whole year to catch up with them again.

2013 has been an amazing year for me. I made a lot of new friends (and lost some along the way) and to be honest the majority of the year has just been one massive party. I was quite possibly the happiest I've ever been and a lot of the time it felt like I was truly living the dream. I was doing exciting things and meeting exciting new people on almost a daily basis, not stopping once to catch my breath. I also managed to lose over a stone in weight without even particularly trying - just by listening to my body more like I set out to do at the beginning of the year!

2014 however, is probably going to be more about growing up than the previous year. As much fun as it was, I feel like it's time to take some steps towards being more of a grown-up and doing grown-up things rather than party every day. Maybe cut down the partying to every other day instead, haha.

So, in easily digestible chunks, my resolutions for this year are as follows:

1) Get more organised

This one's top of my priority list. I've always been a very organised person, but in the last year organisation has kind of fallen by the wayside in favour of spontaneity. Now, don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with being spontaneous, but a lot of times it's actually come to bite me in the back. Like when I had those awesome ideas of what I'm going to get people for their birthdays, but left it too late and couldn't follow through with my plan. Or all those exciting opportunities I've had for my blog that have just been falling by the wayside, just because I forgot to reply to an email or left a blog post unpublished for weeks. The trick is to strike a balance between having a plan for... well, life, but not getting too upset when things don't always go according to it. This afternoon I'm going out and getting myself a fancy diary for 2014 and I'm actually going to use it again this year!


2) Make my home a home

The plan is for me and my boyfriend to finally move into our first proper flat this year. Living in a flat share was fun when we were living with friends, but things eventually took a turn for the worse and now it's just more stress than it's worth. I need to be able to know that if I leave the kitchen in pristine condition before I leave for work, it's not going to be a mess when I come back, not have to argue about chores and getting money for bills on time and all that other crap that simply gets cut out when you have your own place. Most importantly, I want my home to feel like a home, look after it and decorate it exactly the way I want to and make it feel like a little part of me. It's not going to be cheap, but it's definitely something worth saving the money for.


3) Eat more healthily

By that I don't mean diet. As I mentioned before I actually managed to lose over a stone in summer (whoop whoop) and even though my weight has pretty much been the same since October, that's completely fine. By eating more healthily I mean that I want to start paying more attention the quality of my food, cut down on processed foods and takeaways and focus more on fresh, seasonal produce - organic where possible. It's something I've started doing in the past month or so anyway (even though all that festive food has made it pretty hard to stay on track), and I feel so much better now than I used to when I was living off £1 burgers from the shop across the road. There's no saying that I won't treat myself to some cake from time to time, but when I do, I want it to be one I've made from scratch, so I know exactly what's gone in it.


4) Read more books

With two of my favourite magazines going bust this year, my magazine consumption has been drastically cut down, but in return I've rediscovered the beauty of settling down with a good book in my spare time. What I'd like to do this year is to tackle some more classics along with the usual picks of the best seller chart or random chick lit I usually go for. Maybe even pop some book reviews on my blog if you'd be interested to read them?


5) Get more pro at blogging

Speaking of blog, I feel like it's time to up my blogging game a little. Rather than just say I'm gonna post more like I did last year and then not following through because I was too busy having fun in life, this year I want to focus at just getting things a bit more right. I've dabbed in Instagram, done two or three YouTube videos, and my Twitter has managed to completely dry out. The plan for the next year is to set up a little blogging corner just for myself, where everything is in one place and I can just work without getting distracted all the time. I'm also considering just paying somebody a bit of money to get a decent layout and design for my blog, to sleek it up a little. Anyone got any recommendations?


Have you made any resolutions for the upcoming year? If you've made a blog post about them, please leave me a link in the comments below. I'd love to have a snoop!

And in other words, hope you all have a wonderful 2014 filled with happiness and all the things you dream of!

No comments:

Post a Comment