Tuesday 20 August 2013

Review: L'Oreal Superliner Brow Artist



The Brow Artist is the latest add on to L'Oreal's Superliner family. A double-ended pen with an eyebrow pencil on one end, a setting wax on the other and a little brush integrated in one of the lids, it aims to be your all-in-one brow kit in just one slim, easy to transport pencil.


The shade I was sent is the one for brunettes, which goes well with my natural brow colour, but produces a fairly stark contrast to my bleached hair (though that's not necessarily a bad thing, even if I'm never going to pull it off quite the way Cara D does).
My first thought was that this pencil is a genius idea. During the last year and a half my eyebrow products have shot up from, well, nothing at all, to an array of pencils, powders and setting waxes/gels. My face just doesn't seem right anymore if I don't fill in and groom my brows, but taking all that lot with me on holiday? No, thanks.


In practice it didn't work quite as well as expected. The waxy end just doesn't give enough hold for my liking and it tends to rub off the colour I've filled in before that. It also wears off very, very quickly, which means I need to sharpen it every other day.
The pencil end, however, works like an absolute dream. It's incredibly pigmented, which means that you only need a gentle swipe to leave a mark. That makes it very easy to get a natural result from lots of light, feathery strokes.


I swatched both ends in the picture above, but you can't really see the wax at all. It's not glossy or shimmery in any way and a little bit creamy. The pencil end I barely touched my skin with and you can see that the colour pay off is pretty awesome.

My overall verdict on this one would be: Pencil end yay, waxy end nay. I suppose I'd be happy to use the wax in a pinch, or if you're just after a really natural grooming wax you may get on with it better than I did. For the pencil end alone, however, I'm happy to add this one to my ever growing brow collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment