Friday 21 December 2012

End of the Year / World Post



So far this whole end-of-the-world thing has been unsurprisingly anti-climatic. But with the year slowly coming to an end it's time for many to reflect on the past twelve months and maybe even (yes, I'm going to say it!!)... make some resolutions?

2012 has been a tough year for me, in many different ways. I had surgery on my wrist twice and even faced the prospect of disability at one point. I broke up with my fiance after five years and got back together with him several months later under the most ridiculous of circumstances. I moved country three times, alienated my family and racked up loads of debt, half of which I've paid off now. I had three jobs, all of which I had to quit and lived in four different cities. I made some great friends, only to lose them again. Without a doubt, it's been the most eventful year of my life so far, but rather than stick my head in the sand as I normally would, I came out stronger, more confident and fearless.

If there's one thing I've learnt over the last year it's that no matter what happens and how bad you think it is, it will turn out to be for the better in the long run. Learn your lessons and accept that what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger. If it wasn't for all that crap that happened this year I wouldn't be the person I am today, and as cheesy as that sounds, I'm grateful for that.


One thing I've read about in a recent issue of Zest magazine that I can wholeheartedly agree with is that New Year's resolutions shouldn't just be about all the things you want to give up (ultimately making life a lot more boring and frankly, a bit shit). This year, rather than saying that I want to lose two stone, stop drinking alcohol, never ever have takeaway again and blah and blah, I want to think of ways in which I can ENRICH my life.


RESOLUTION NO1: HEALTH

Let's be honest, I'm not going to stop doing unhealthy things permanently. I'm still going to enjoy a glass of wine (or two or three), go to parties and not get enough sleep from time to time. But that's fine. The one thing I want to change is to listen to my body more. I enjoy eating healthy foods and I enjoy exercise, but sometimes these things get a little bit lost.
Our bodies are great at telling us exactly what they need, but do we ever listen? Most of us don't even know what it's like to be hungry, because we eat out of habit. What I've learnt through my injury was that trying to change your body hoping that it will give you more confidence is reverse thinking. But if you learn to appreciate your body for all the good things it does, then positive change will come by itself.

RESOLUTION NO2: BLOG MORE

My goodness, the amount of time I've apologised for being MIA due to my crazy personal life this year. Truth be told, I love blogging and I love reading other people's blogs. I think this long, rambly post shows just how much I love writing and expressing myself, so I promise I'm going to try to be a better blogger next year.
Hand in hand with that goes starting to take my camera out with me. Truth be told I can never be bothered to lug it around with me, but then I'm annoyed cause I have nothing other than my phone to take snaps with.

RESOLUTION NO3: LEARN A NEW SKILL

Don't know what that's going to be yet, but ideally something that will push me out of my comfort zone. Any suggestions?


Have you started thinking about your New Year's Resolutions yet? Let me know in the comments section or leave a link to your blog if you have!
And to make up for that wall of rambling and blabbing, here's a cute picture of an owl in a hat:


No comments:

Post a Comment