Sunday 9 October 2011

Maybelline Volum' Express Cat Eyes Mascara Review

I haven't posted in what seems like ages, as I've had quite a lot going on with work and visits to the doctor and then I went to London for a couple of days. My boyfriend had to go to an exhibition for work and asked if I wanted to come along and when I found out that he was staying on top of the Westfield shopping centre in Stratford I had no choice but to go. I might make a haul post of what I bought when I was there, as there's quite a bit - I had to entertain myself somehow!

But back to the topic on hand. I bought this mascara a while ago, but thought I'd give it a good go before I start posting reviews about it.


This costs £7.99 and you can get it pretty much anywhere... Boots, Superdrug, supermarkets...
I have never actually tried a Maybelline mascara before, so I thought I'd give this one a go, seeing as I liked the leopard print packaging as well.


As you can see the wand is curved which is supposed to give extra volume and curve lashes. I found it extremely flimsy and always worry that it will snap when I put it back into the tube. However, the thin bristles do a very good job at grabbing every last one of my lashes and keeping them separated.
This is to give you an idea how it looks applied on lashes:

Before

After

The one thing I noticed straight away with this mascara is that it simply doesn't do what it advertises. This is NOT a volumising mascara. That doesn't mean it's bad. It did a really great job at lengthening and separating my lashes. For a little bit of volume you need to apply two coats, but beware that any more than that and it will clump like mad.
I'm pleased with the result, but would use this as an everyday mascara as the result is quite natural looking, especially if you only apply one coat. For that price it's a very decent product, though not for you if you're after anything more dramatic.

4 comments:

  1. I find curved mascaras hard to use sometimes. My sister loves mascara so might recommend this to her to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Everyone's eye shape is different and if the curve of the wand doesn't match the curve of your lashes it can become very messy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the Maybelline one in the pink and black pacakaging... can't for the life of me think what it's called! That one works best for me. Great review - although it doesn't do what it says you lashes look lovely! And thanks for your lovely comment!

    http://victoriasprocrastinationproject.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like how it's lengthened your lashes they look really pretty but I love my mascaras to give me some volume as I look like I have no lashes without them (I am fair haired) I love your style of review. My favourite mascara is Rimmel Glam Eyes it's always worked for me! Which I then top up with Rimmel day to night - does the trick :)

    ellie-jay.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete